iPhone Hack to Save Lives!
I recently discovered, undoubtedly, one of the best features of an iPhone. This feature of the iPhone, I have never heard of before until someone posted a post on Facebook. But, I think it's an amazing feature and it could literally SAVE YOUR LIFE!
I appreciate many patients come into hospital but those who come in unconscious or in serious conditions may not be able to communicate. Doctors have no way of knowing who they are or how to contact their next of kin. The majority of times phones are locked - understandably as a safety feature - but this feature not only allows people to see next of kin contact details without having the password but also access to key information which may save your life.
Many people don't realise that the public can set up something called a "Medical ID" on your iPhone if you have the health app, which comes free with phone. This information can be accessed even while the phone is locked by clicking on the emergency options. It can display things like name, DOB, emergency contacts, medical conditions and even blood type and donor status. You can even add notes.
When I heard this, thanks to Julia Thompson's original post, I was so impressed but also disappointed that Apple don't advertise this further. Nevertheless, here are some easy steps to set it up:
2. The home page should look like this.
3. Then click on the 4th option on the bottom on the screen, called 'Medical ID'.
4. Make sure that the setting is on for 'Show When Locked' so users can access it without the password. I only have a few notes written but the full options you can add are shown below.
5. Now, when your phone is locked
6. You can select 'Emergency' at the bottom left of the screen.
7. This will be replaced by '*Medical ID' which will then show your profile.
Please note that this information is correct as of January 2016, using at iPhone5c with the iOS9.2.