My Covid Positive Experience

After over 2 years of the Covid-19 pandemic, the virus has finally caught me and last week I tested positive. I’ve managed not to have it so far, despite friends and family members testing positive, especially over last Christmas. 

Last Tuesday, I had the worst headache I’ve had in years. It was migraine level but worse and banging, in both sides of my head. It felt like so much pressure and swelling under my skull. On Wednesday, my throat started to get a little scratchy but I didn’t think much of it. Luke came over and so I ended up taking a lateral flow test, which was negative, but I still thought I best book a PCR, especially for work purposes. By this point, I’d already called in sick to work that night because the migraine was debilitating. I had my PCR first thing Thursday morning and then got the positive result later that evening. 

For me, this stresses the importance of following guidelines. If you have ANY symptoms, you should be taking a PCR, not an LFT. I’ve been taking regular LFTs since and they have all been negative.

It’s interesting because I’m fully vaccinated, with both the 2 doses and booster as well. It’s been just over 6 months since my last and that seems to be the most vulnerable time. Just like it was for many at Christmas, around when another booster may be desirable. At the moment, the U.K. is only giving 4th doses to those seen as very high risk, clinically vulnerable. 

I was speaking to colleagues about this just a few weeks ago as I have been looking after a lot of covid positive women. Every shift for the last 2 weeks, has involved at least 1 covid positive woman…and up to 3! As I’m not high risk and fully vaccinated, I didn’t mind too much but I did say I wouldn’t be looking after any known covid positive woman after 1st April because I’m going abroad for the first time in almost 3 years on the 14th April. Of course, I got it just before…

I am very careful when looking after positive women. I wear the full personal protective equipment, including 2 layers of gloves, gowns and FFP2 masks. There was one woman who I think it is most likely I caught it from, because she initially declined a swab stating she was negative previously and was currently being treated for a chest infection by the GP. As such, we didn’t initially wear PPE, other than a surgical mask, until she was moved to labour suite and convinced to get one. By that point, it was likely too late and given that I don’t really go out, I’m sure that’s where it’s from, but it’s all part of the job. 

I’ve been quite lucky with the symptoms. Other than the headache that lasted 5 days, I’ve just been quite sleepy and lethargic, sleeping most of the day, and then full of cold. It’s not been a severe cold and the cough is minor and intermittent. I’m so glad the headache has now gone though! 

Although not a legal necessity, I have been staying home and isolating alone. It doesn’t quite feel right to go out and about still. Tomorrow will be day 6 on the infection from symptoms, but it’s also my 3 year anniversary. I’m letting Luke decide what he wants to do because via government advice, I am free to leave the house and symptoms are almost gone. Fingers crossed!